This task allows telecollaborative partners to develop and exchange typical recipes of their countries.
Institution reporting the task:
Language of task instructions:
References and acknowledgements:
Language(s) that the task can be used in:
Dominant language production:
Specific pedagogical objectives:
Development of students interest in cultural similarities and differences
Suggested Communication Tools:
A very well-illustrated site to search for specific terminology in the field of cooking (material, techniques, ingredients):
This site allows to consult and produce student recipes:
Stage 1 (preparation through the instructors):
– Extract the model of a cooking recipe from a culinary forum for both languages
– Create a closed forum or look for an open culinary forum (which offers a real frame of publication for the telecollaborative partners)
If the languages are Italian, French or Spanish, the bulk of this task can be done through the site Babbel-web
Stage 2 (making aware of genre):
Based on the model of the recipe from stage 1, make the telecollaborative partners sensitive as to the structure and the content of the cooking recipe on the Internet:
– Title, list of ingredients, steps of the recipe, final result
– Linguistic tools: specific terms, the prescriptive mode
Stage 3 (production): Following the model of the recipe presented in stage 1, ask the telecollaborative partners to create a typical recipe of their country.
– They can illustrate their recipe with images. The recipe has to contain at least 100 words.
– Help the telecollaborative partners with the research of specific vocabulary in the field of cooking.
Stage 4 (publication):
– The instructors explain the procedure of publishing the recipes: in the closed forum or in the chosen kitchen forum (on Babbel-web).
– Organize a survey with different criteria to vote for the best recipe, the most original, the most complicated. This survey can be realized with Moodle by adding a " survey" activity.
– One of the instructors posts the results of the survey on the forum
Stage 5 (exchange):
Invite the telecollaborative partners to comment on the recipes of their partners following the characteristics listed in the survey (stage 4) or by trying out one of the recipes. One of the instructors can initiate these comments by trying out one of the recipes and commenting on it in the forum.
Stage 6 (wrap-up in class):
Assess the accomplishment of the task instructions (content, structure, language) and the differences between the two types of cooking with the telecollaborative partners.
Document related to the task:
Criteria for Completion:
The telecollaborative partners could discover a typical recipe of my country, presented by a title, a list of ingredients, the different steps and the result. They reacted to that recipe with comments.
Comments and suggestions:
Le français en Première Ligne (2011-2012) Grenoble-Riga. Groupe E : Yann Desbiolles et Pierrick Chalaye (Tâche 2 « Un dîner presque parfait »)